Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My Craptastic Backyard and My Journey to Improve it Part I


This originally was a rough draft plan I was discussing with a friend (Yep my only follower and commentor). My backyard currently consists of mostly dirt and weeds. What sod I did put down last year was burned off from the sun (thank you sun)! This year I'm motivated to try again, because a friend of ours gave us a huge intex above ground pool for free (SWEET! and Thank You!) Were still deciding on weather or not to put the pool up, but if I have a pool I can't LIVE with looking at my crappy yard. So I decided to do something about it. When I stand on my patio, this is the left side of our yard. I want to do something along the house for sure.




This is were the pool would go in the left picture (for reference). In the picture on the right, this would be the right side of my yard, or your initial view when you walk through the back door. Originally this was not my focus, but I got bored with the pool "inaction" and started looking for my own project.

To form the outline of my landscaping I placed the hose where I wanted to see the curves, then made a line with my shovel. (Pretty Inventive huh? I came up with that one on my own)

This is were I'm at today. I have amended the CLAY, which is like trying to shovel into cement. I also purchased some mesh to lay down (I don't want the dirt to get my rocks all Messy!) OH YEAH, I also bought rocks. I bought 6 bags of Washed River Rock. I originally was drawn to the brighter colored Rainbow 7/8" rock, but what do ya know...... my budget prevailed. Grrrrrrr! So now my plan is to use the washed river rock as a good base. and throw a few bags of the more colorful rock on top! <Insert Smile Here>


Follow up here: follow-up-on-my-craptastic-backyard 1

9 comments:

  1. I love when you said, "Yep my only follower and commenter". it just proves that we are both officially Awesome. yeah, just like the song. IDC the fun of all of it is priceless for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all on one page now. I like that better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I LOVE the hose idea! Way to use stuff just laying around MacGyver. lol! Its better than the spray paint idea because you can change it.. Also it shows good problem solving skillz. I like that!! (Feels so made up now that i'm posting it agian. ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, how LAME am I that I had to text you to do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The other way I was posting it, was all wrong chronologically (wow thats a long word.... is that spelled right?) Then I learned how to do it this way (much better)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your not lame. Your Awesome! Get it right :) I was a MacGyver move. I fabricate stuff all the time for my ebay stuff to make it work and so on. I use stuff I just have laying around also. I do my best work that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also included links to see the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the rocks and they both match way better than I thought. when you said rainbow, I assumed something more colored. Nobody will ever notice that you skimped on the rocks. Very Very cool. NO BS...

    ReplyDelete